Friday, November 14, 2008

My bubble has been popped.

There was a murder.

So we were having a Low Boil tonight. Our good friends family and baby was in town so we had everyone over to our house to celebrate and welcome them. Several guests mentioned cops on our road and you had to give a name and address you were going to. My friend and I ran to the gas station and ended up seeing everything for ourselves. There were cops everywhere. Everything was roped off. News crews, people, craziness. When I went into the gas station I asked what was going on and the woman said they found the girl that had been missing since Tuesday.

WHAT?

How could I have been so busy or so blind or self consumed or whatever to not even know someone within miles of my home had been missing. And now, found dead. She was 21 years old. She had so much life left to live probably tons of more things to offer this world and it's cut short.

I grew up in a bubble. Ignorance IS bliss. I love my bubble. I don't care how stupid or how naieve that may sound. I was always careful, but felt safe and secure. Our last residence...popped my bubble: with the break ins, trash, trashy people, etc. And although our new place is only a couple miles away I thought I found a way to rebuild my sanctuary. A place that reminded me a bit more of my home. Safe, clean, and such. Then this.

I am scared. Is this just the beginning? Is there more to come?
I am sad. I don't even know this girl, but can't help to think how at any point this could have been me or one of my friends. At a bar, outside using your phone, gone.
Her poor family. So close to the holidays.

Why are people so bad? I mean seriously what is this world coming to? Where are our morals?

I am scared.
I am sad.
A life has been lost.
A family is mourning.
A killer is on the loose.

3 comments:

jessicaap1108 said...

I am so sorry you are dealing with that. It is scary. It is disturbing what our world is coming to.

I miss you girl.

AshleyCD said...

Thanks Jess! The cop was telling us this is the first murder in this town in 10 years! Wish that streak could have lasted a little longer...or...forever...

Miss you too!!!

Flo said...

Oh Ashley I know that's really disappointing for you, especially since you love your new neighborhood. Still, the first murder in 10 years means it's still ultimately a good town and this murder was the exception, not the rule. I hope they catch (or have already caught) the killer and that you can start feeling safe again.