Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sir Hutch of Cottage Hill

My husband has been saying for months that we need a dog. It was something like "we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a dog, please please please, we haaaaaave to have a dog!"
.
Well, do you know my mom? Growing up we had NO animals; aside from a gerbil, some fish, and a hermit crab. ALWAYS a pet that could be kept in a cage or a tank that had little to no poop. The thought of fur on her couches, barking, meowing, or constant upkeep caused my mom to deny us a 'real' pet. I'm sure at this point you feel incredibly sorry for me and think I have a cold hearted mother. Lol. I do not. She is amazing....and a neat freak:)
.
The thought of a dog a couple months ago worried me. My mom's right, you have to clean daily, hourly even, to stay on top of the fur, muddy paws, etc. Nick and I are travelers. Love to be out, see, do...when we vacation we would now have to find a place for our pup. That costs money... Would it be a good dog? Would it be a bad dog? Will it love me? Will it obey? Will it poop or pee on my stuff? Will it? Won't it? Might it?
.
My mother in law recommended I read Marley and Me and before I even had time to finish the book...I wanted a dog. We started researching breeders for a breed of dog Nick and I ADORE: The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. Let me tell you, they are hard to come by, and it took a while before we found one.
.
We got Hutch (Sir Hutch of Cottage Hill, per our current residency and the name of one of Nick's bosses, whom I should add, we love him, and his name, lol) on a Sunday. He immediately became our 'baby'. I never realized how much I could love a pet. I didn't know that you could grow so attached.
.
My favorite thing about this dog besides his adorable/playful habits, gorgeous look, personality, and temperament is that this dog loves Nick and I with the most unconditional love and it is fully reciprocated. It makes me feel so good to have him follow me around, tap me when he wants to play, cuddle me when he wants to relax, and basically just be near me all of the time.
.
After we have him trained and get to our next unit we will happily add another addition to our family, a girl wheaten, so Hutch can have a friend and partner in crime! For now, our family of three couldn't be happier!


This is from the day we got Hutch.



Also the day we got Hutch. Even at 10 wks he was a little to big for me to hold, haha.



Ready for his [long] car ride to his new home!



His daddy was so proud with how quickly he was crate trained!





He got his first hair cut!




And Hutch makes 3:)

2 comments:

Flo said...

I know I've probably said this before, but if Hutch were my dog I'd likely cuddle him to death because he's so cute and looks like a teddy bear. I'd go all Elvira and sh*t and then you'd have to sue me. Death by cuddle. lol

AshleyCD said...

Hahaha! I swear Nick and I can not get enough of him! He gets so much love and affection he is probably SO sick of it! I never realized how much you could love a pet:)