Friday, July 25, 2008

You never know what you've got till it's gone.

Oh, how this can be manipulated for so many situations-
.
Does it mean you had something and it's gone, as in, forever.
Does it mean you had something and it's gone, for now?
Is it refering to a friend? family member? loved one?
.
I'm not quite sure if it has something to do with being a military spouse and having been in a long distance relationship with my husband prior to marriage. Or if it's the thought of him going underway and being in a long distance relationship in my marriage, but I would like to say, I think I've always known what I had. Not to go off on a tangent, but to mention what I have, to give you a good idea of why I've always known, would start somewhere with: Handsome, passionate, laid back, and end somewhere with generous, considerate, and hilarious. I think the love I have with him has grown every moment since we met. Through our ups and downs and distance...I always knew what was there.















Friends on one hand...may come and go. Sometimes when they go you think of them often, or here and there, and wish maybe you hadn't separated so suddenly, or even if they had been around a while you wish that your lives hadn't gotten so hectic to be unable to keep them as involved. You might think at that point when months have passed that you had a really great friendship and see how much they meant to you. Hence, 'knowing what you had, now that you don't always have it.'
I think I'm working through this now...having moved with my Coast Guard husband. Starting a new life, in a new place, and having to have left some behind. As I make new friends here, who are all truly amazing, it does make me think of the amazing people I had to leave. Fortunately, none were left in haste and it is up to me and them to keep the friendship alive no matter how many states or countries we may hop too.


Family, I think most can agree, you REALLY don't know what you've got until it's gone. I complained about being 'forced' to go to college, their rules throughout my time living at home, my allowance, their 'uncool' thoughts and beliefs. That only covers parents. Siblings are a whole other story. I thought my sister was so young and so immature. We couldn't possibly be friends...and now...she's my best [friend]. After moving off I realized my parents would have done anything to help prepare me for a bright future. All they ever wanted was to instill hope, faith, brains, manners, personality, etc. for me to succeed in the real world.

It's funny because at this point everything I didn't like in my parents is what molded me to be a well rounded person. Everything I didn't like is what I hope I will be and will use in raising my own children. And everything I never thought I could agree with, get along with, or relate to growing up, ie, sister, has become my closest and best friend and confidant.





Moral of my story I suppose, is I'm lucky. If I didn't already know it was there and needed to be loved and appreciated I ended up finding that I should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the blogging, you have great things to say! You are a brilliant young lady:)

AshleyCD said...

I love you! I'll have to post an I miss you blog, hahaha!