Sunday, September 21, 2008

It brings me back...

Hearing the sound of a train is soothing. It makes me think of visiting my Granny's house. At night as I laid in bed I could hear the trains coming through town.

Swimming makes me feel competitive. It takes me back to all of my races...

Finding 'true' Gelato is refreshing. It makes me think of my trips to Europe.

Does a smell, a thought, a taste, etc. ever make you think of a time, moment, or emotion in your life? A few things really take me back. I never just sit and think about it, until today, I was in the shower listening to my ipod and 'Josie' by Blink 182 come on.

I could remember it SO clearly. I was on my way home from class and Nick called. At this time we weren't overly serious and he was at his most 'care free' period. Not the most sensitive or thoughtful man in the world, not having much relationship experience he was learning day by day...which made this phone call that much more special. Mainly because I often wondered, how often does he think of me when I'm not around? Does he include me in his future plans? Do things make him think of me throughout his day, like things make me think of him?

Nick: I just heard a song that made me think about you.
Me: Oh really and what would that be?
Nick: No, I want to listen to it together...

And so at some point that evening we did. And while the words aren't sappy and lovey dovey, if you know me, you know I'd hate that...and I guess if you read the lyrics you'd 'hmmm?' however, at this point in his life, as I said, he was care free, independent, and really big on friends...and I felt after hearing the words...I had made it. I wasn't just a girlfriend. I felt appreciated, like he knew what he had. Someone to make him laugh, someone that would be there for him, to brighten his day, pick him up...

We're approaching nearly 4 years since he first told me about this song. I can remember each second of the phone call and listening to the song together as if it just happened yesterday...I like when something or someone meant so much that it can bring you back to a time, a moment, an emotion.

[And in case you go search these lyrics, go ahead and disregard the bulge comment;) That line does not apply;)]

2 comments:

Flo said...

This is such a good post :) I actually cried when I first heard "our song," the song Brian promised we'd dance to at our wedding. We were in San Diego on a weekend trip and had only been dating for a month, and he was SO excited about having me listen to this song that he paid to download it on iTunes since he'd forgotten his CD case. We were sitting on a hotel bed and after the chorus played, I burst into tears. I only cry over really tragic, upsetting things, so tears of happiness was a really new experience for me :) The song is "What a Beautiful Day" by Chris Cagle and I know it's totally popular and cheese-riffic, but I wasn't a country listener at the time and hadn't heard it before :)

So you're one of the few people who knows what our first dance song will be :) I haven't really told many people about it because I'd like it to be a bit of a surprise for our non-country listening friends.

Josie is a great song, by the way. It's so honest and unpretentious, I totally miss Blink 182!

AshleyCD said...

Well, I'm honored to know what it will be!! It is a really good song:) And what a sweet memory:)