Friday, September 19, 2008

Oh, the insanity.

Albert Einstein is reported to have said: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

This would lead me to believe if you were being remotely honest you would agree at some point in your life you have been...insane. And if you were being blatantly honest you would agree at many times in your life you have been insane.

Why is it that we do the same things again and again and expect different results?

In school, maybe you don't study for tests, but expect to squeak by...and don't...yet you continue to...not study. In relationships, maybe you continue to let a guy (or girl) take advantage of you expecting in the end they will change and you will live the 'happily ever after'.

I am just wondering at what point you learn. I think upon graduating college and getting engaged I realized...I'm a big girl now. To go off on a tangent withe little relevance...saying I'm a big girl makes me think of 6th grade lunches with Erin. This girl taught me every theme song and commercial lyrics worthy of being sung. IIIIII don't want to grow up, I'm a toys r us kid...there's a million toys at toys r us that...

ANYWAYS, upon graduating college and getting engaged it was clear...my life would be spent with another. In the future we would be having children and it would be spent molding and shaping them to be the best they can be...and I realized I needed to handle all situations in a wise and responsible manner that would not negatively effect me or others (physically or emotionally). So for me 21-22 was when I saw my light bulb. For other 21-22 year olds this could be their drunken haze stage. They may rarely think of others or themselves. They do drastic dramatic things often...whatever feels good at the moment....so when will they get the light bulb? Some kids may have grown up too fast and they see the light bulb way to early...

I know life isn't about being rational and making rational decisions. I'm not perfect now nor have I ever been and I think in my short 23 years I have experienced so many things this great world has to offer. You learn, you grow, you change, you experience. I guess I'm glad to have found my light bulb. I feel like I'm in charge of my life. I'm happy with where I'm at and pleased with who I've become. I just see things sometimes...people...sometimes...and wonder when...the light bulb will go on for them. If ever.

No comments: